Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Polar Vortex

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”

― Edith Sitwell




While we haven't experienced quite the cold that our peeps in the north and midwest have... it's cold here in Houston! I'm not sure how I would handle single digits! I'm a big BABY when it comes to cold. With that said we have been hunkering down at the casa these days. I picked the kiddos up from school yesterday and raced home as quickly as possible. Much praise for heated seats. I'm not sure I could make it out of the house without them!

We baked cookies and made possibly the best hot chocolate I've ever consumed yesterday after school. Jenny Steffens Hobick shared the recipe and we enjoyed it so much! I love her photography as well so I re-created with my kiddos. They were both a sticky mess after slurping up every last drop. They didn't mind the hot bath at all! Recipe below

DSC_1327

DSC_1328

DSC_1331

DSC_1343

1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or extract)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 cups of hot water (or milk)
Mini Marshmallows

In a large saucepan, combine sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, vanilla and salt; mix well. Over medium heat, slowly stir in water; heat through, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Top with marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment